Saturday, April 3, 2010

More plantings...

I'm having a difficult time getting going today, but I have done a bit of gardening. I planted 8 each of two types of carrots, plus chard and mesclun. I gave up on the idea of a container for the mesclun and just used a square in the raised bed. It won't be as conveniently located, but at least I won't delay getting the seeds in the ground any longer.

I also watched a library-borrowed documentary on the Berlin Wall. Sort of a random topic, I suppose-- but having lived in West Germany for 3 years and poked my toe defiantly into No Man's Land somewhere on the German-German border during a school trip, it's a topic of interest to me. I remember writing to Helmut Kohl for an assignment in grade school and coloring in programs for a ceremony to which various dignitaries would be invited; we were erecting new flag poles so that both the American and West German flags could be displayed on our campus. Years later and back in the U.S., I remember being in Mr. Jordan's physics class when one of his former students dropped in and shared news about the Wall's dismantling-- the people were tearing it down! The documentary was filmed for the History Channel and shares the story of the Wall and of some of the people who successfully escaped from the GDR. I enjoyed hearing their stories (and the German language spoken-- I don't understand it, but it's familiar to my ear).

No comments:

Post a Comment