Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On Not Blogging

Wow, I can't believe my last post was on Friday. I'm feeling very nonverbal lately-- not unhappy, just contained. The little I want to say I have said on Facebook and haven't been interested in duplicating here.

On Sunday I actually went to church for probably the second time this year. Amazing-- everything just came together perfectly: sleep/health, will/motivation, timing/preparation. And, it was an encouraging service, because a "permanent pulpit supply" has finally been found-- the man chosen will preach the services until a new senior pastor can be found, but he is not "on staff" in any other sense. He does a fairly good job of the messages, although it's still a trifle slow and simple for my liking. However, I think his desire for the church's growth in this interim period is genuine, and that means a lot. I also think this is a better move than rotating oodles of people through the pulpit-- not all of whom were capable of taking a Sunday service despite effort.

Yesterday, I went to the sleep doctor. His advice was to reduce the sleep med dosage. I agree because after analyzing the log I'd been keeping, I found that I was doing too much sleeping in the day time of late-- there have been a number of reasons for the daytime sleepiness such as the daylight savings time change, allergies & antihistamines, headaches from sun exposure with gardening, TMD splint adjustments and the pain that follows until I adjust, and even the Midrin I've taken for migraines and headaches has a side effect of drowsiness. The bottom line is that if I sleep in the day, I won't sleep at night. So the theory is that by cutting back on the sleep med I won't have too much of the drug in my system to contribute to daytime sleeping. Plus, he worries about patients developing tolerance to the drugs which means upping the dosage. So, it's better if I am taking a smaller dosage to begin with.

As you can see by the timing of this post, however, I am currently awake in the middle of the night. I've had about 3.5 restless hours of sleep so far. But if I can get another 2.5 hours before morning, I'm sure I can make it through the day without napping.

Yesterday evening I went shopping and out to eat with my Mom and our Nashville family friends. I bought some needed items and enjoyed the good food (Panera Bread) and the good company.

Here's a photo of a tree in my front yard which I snapped before we left. (I still need to get some dogwood tree pics before the blossoms are gone; but today I have to do my long delayed taxes. Ugh.)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are successful in making the sleep transition. I think spring in all it's wonder has pulled many of us from the computer chair and thrown us on the couch or bed with an allergy head. I too am suffering from allergies due to mowing the grass on Saturday. I do catch you on facebook occasionally but I spend more time on the blogs so I'll find you whichever way you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from you, but sorry to hear of your allergies! Hope you're able to get back on your feet quickly.

    ReplyDelete