Friday, April 16, 2010

Taking Stock in the Garden

I wasn't feeling well yesterday & didn't venture into the backyard to check my garden at all. But today, I evaluated.

I thinned the carrots and lettuce a bit. My spinach is producing true leaves that are becoming sizable and actually look like spinach now! I had planted a succession crop of radishes, and they've already popped up. I really like the super-large leaves of the French Breakfast variety; they're so extravagant. The mesclun will be riotous before long.


Spinach



Radishes


Mesclun

My peas, pansies, romaine, and daffodils won't amount to anything. I've hoped and hesitated to draw that conclusion, but there's little doubt now. I have one pea sprout, but it doesn't seem to be growing. I planted the peas later in the season than I would have liked, plus the weather has been unseasonably warm-- record-breaking even. The pea and pansy containers were also too close to the laundry room vent. Due to careless watering, I buried & unburied the romaine seedling so many times that I think I uprooted it. Oops.

On a positive note, all 30 of my tulips are up and leafy. Whether they'll actually bloom this year--I do see some stems-- or come back next year remains to be seen, but so far so good. I think it's amazing that there wasn't a dud in the bunch.

The weeds are also alive and well! So far, no weeds are actually growing in my garden, but I plucked away from the soil surface numerous dandelion seeds and hairy flat seed pods that had blown in from a shrubby-treeish plant by the fence. Today's going to be windy, so I'll have to stay vigilant to avoid interlopers.

I'm waiting on watering for the moment. A storm is forecast for tonight, so we will hopefully get some rain. I definitely prefer it when nature does the work! ;-)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Trial and error are always good teachers. You are learning and you will enjoy some of the labors from gardening when you sit down to eat them.

    ReplyDelete