Monday, January 18, 2010

Watching Airport '77

Oh my gosh. I know this is naive (and rude), but imagine my distress at finding that Olivia de Haviland didn't remain eternally young!!! She's downright OLD in this movie (actually only in her early 60's and still attractive), but compared to Captain Blood or The Charge of the Light Brigade or Gone with the Wind-- YIKES!!! I wouldn't have recognized her if I hadn't been looking for her.

And then there's the young Christopher Lee. This is the first time I've seen him in any film other than The Lord of the Rings. Honestly, without the Saruman wig, I didn't recognize him right away either-- partly because I was busy trying to recall where I'd seen the actress who plays his wife. Thank goodness for IMDb. She's Lee Grant, and I recognize her from In the Heat of the Night-- a widow again!

And speaking of that movie, I recently watched Doctor Zhivago for the first time. Again, it took IMDb for me to make the connection between Rod Steiger as Komarovsky and as Gillespie alongside Sidney Poitier. Not to mention Steiger's role in Oklahoma!-- SINGING! That's pretty versatile!

No comments:

Post a Comment