Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Building a Night Stash

I'm gathering things I will need if I can't fall asleep or if I wake in the middle of the night-- the goal is to have whatever is required close at hand so I can overcome sleep disrupters, relieve discomforts, and occupy myself quietly, getting some rest even if I am unable to sleep. The idea comes from the book Restful Insomnia which I wrote about in a previous post.

So far my kit consists of a bottle of water, antihistamines, prescription migraine reliever, an eye mask and earplugs (both freebies which may be irritating rather than soothing-- haven't tried them yet) stored in an excessively large Pyrex bowl (that I seldom use) under my bed.

My iPod will be by the rocker-recliner in the living room, plugged in and charging. I will set the brightness level at the lowest setting before bedtime. The iPod has reading material (Kindle samples I've downloaded, free e-book classics, the Bible), pictures to look at (Flickr, Picasa), offers opportunity to jot notes, and has soothing white noise programs (ocean waves, falling rain). My robe, socks, and slippers are stored right by my bed so I can easily put them on before grabbing my bowl and heading to my chair.

Other items I need to add to my stash:
  • OTC pain relievers
  • Pen and paper
  • Dim nightlight
I'm sure I'll think of more things to include in time.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you are having sleep problems. I did not see any mention of meditation practices. Breath counting, attention to the breath, etc., can make a big difference for you. Hope you will check these out, too.

    ReplyDelete