Friday, March 19, 2010

Beds Are Filled!!!

Building the remaining frame, laying weed barrier, and staking the frames took 1 hour. To mix the soil and fill the beds took 2 hours and required a shower afterwards-- very messy. I did have 4 smallish containers of soil remaining; the rest went into the beds.

Image source:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8853180@N02/3584472940/sizes/l/

I've had some concerns about protecting my garden from deer and rabbits, but it was only today that I realized how the cats are going to view these beds: the perfect litterbox! Naturally, I know about this tendency of felines, but when I've seen garden advice of this type in books, I've always dismissed it-- "I don't have a cat," I've thought. Well, I don't, but the neighborhood does! At least three of them.

I was talking the matter over with "our dog" when she visited. (I love the way dogs "listen" with their whole bodies, so I can't resist "conversing" with them.) I was encouraging her to be a good watchdog and keep the cats out of the beds. Well, she was so enthused about the assignment that she scrambled right across my soil to get to me and tell me so! Yikes! That means I have a boundary-less dog to take into consideration as well.

I've concluded that I'll wait and let the rain settle the soil, create my SFG grid, devise some animal-proofing, and THEN add seeds. It'll be safer for the plants! ;-)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment