Thursday, March 11, 2010

Priorities and Persistence

I do plan my days out-- at least a general outline-- usually with the help of my iPod. And it's a reality that plans have to change to accomodate situations that arise unexpectedly. I'm fine with that.

But at home, I tend to let myself get sidetracked from my goals and objectives by more pleasant diversions. Clean the bathroom? Gee, all of a sudden a game of solitaire sounds like a great idea. Do my taxes? That will take all day-- maybe I'll just ___________ instead. And so time goes by and my plans go unrealized. But really, I am sacrificing something greater for something of secondary importance. I wish it weren't so tough to stay motivated and to do the best thing.

What's funny is that I'm not like this at work. I put all my tasks on Outlook, and I do even the unpleasant tasks-- with a sigh or a frown perhaps, but I do them. Maybe it's having others depend on me or judge my performance. I don't know for sure, but I do know that I want to be diligent in the way I spend my life; sometimes that means resisting the temptation to procrastinate. Being a stay-at-home person tends to magnify these habits of thought and behavior.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment