Thursday, March 18, 2010

SFG Progress Report

I can't imagine anyone less suited to carpentry than I. My first square frame has been put together, but it took about 1.5 hours and is only approximately square. (It'll do-- especially considering the obstacles.)

I had to gather the supplies from the various stashing places. It turns out that I let the nice men at Lowe's sell me 2x4's instead of 2x6 lumber because my sense of measurement is deficit, and I assumed my request to them was clear. Apparently not. So, I have a supply situation to remedy-- but I have an idea brewing.

I also had to learn how to use a drill (choose a bit, change bits, reverse directions). At one point, I was absolutely stumped, not understanding why I couldn't get the screw to bite into the wood as needed. After sitting on the ground thinking and petting "our dog" (my brother's nickname for the neighbors' friendly Jack Russell), I picked up the drill again-- only to discover that I had the drill operating in the reverse direction. Can you say "clueless"? I've also managed to burn my hand on a screw that got dang hot from the friction of the drill.

Well, I'll take a lunch break, then it's at it again. Hopefully, the next two frames will come together more efficiently. However, I'm not planning to mix the "soil" today-- I think it would be wiser to tackle that tomorrow. We should still have good weather. Besides, if I'm not careful, I'm going to get a sunburn.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment