Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Raised Bed Shopping

I've been awake since 3:45am, so I thought I might as well record what I did yesterday: I used most of my Lowe's Christmas gift card to buy the supplies for the raised beds I intend to build (according to the directions in The All-New Square Foot Gardening book).

I now have landscaping fabric and cut lumber in the trunk of my car, 3.9 cubic feet of compressed peat moss plus bagged compost by my garbage cans, a tarp and deck screws in my laundry room with my drill, etc. (A garage or a garden shed would be lovely, but right now I have to make do where storage is concerned.)

I'm so excited about seeing my visions of backyard produce become reality that I'd like to use today's cold but dry weather to put the frames together.

However, I suppose it makes more sense to gather some remaining supplies first, such as vermiculite and additional bagged compost-- I've only purchased one type so far, but Mel Bartholomew advocates using five kinds to ensure better plant health. That seems wise to me.

I think I will have to do a little shopping online to get what I want. I have a few local places to check too, but I want to be ready to plant some cold weather crops shortly. If I do order online, I'll have to wait for the items to be shipped so I don't want to delay too long.

Incidentally, the men at the local Lowe's were kind and helpful, rounding up the supplies on my shopping list for me (since I'm clueless about identifications and locations in their vast store).

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. By the way, is this your first garden? It sounds like you are ready for a good start. Visit cleanairgardening.com they have so many wonderful things and a news letter that keeps you updated.
    I had a vitrectomy on my left eye. It was performed because a hole had torn open at the back of my eye and the surgery removes the vitreous humor in the eye, the hole is stitched and a bubble of gas is placed in the eye until the body manufactures more of the vitreous humor. The body will absorb the gas bubble while this is happening. The head must be kept facing the floor to keep the gas bubble pressed against the back of the eye. I looked at the floor for two weeks and it is no fun. I had this happen to my right eye five years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's terrible about your eye-- 2 weeks of misery can seem like forever. What would we do without medical know-how though!

    This is not my first garden-- that was a disaster, albeit a learning opportunity! This is my first SFG though.

    ReplyDelete