Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tomorrow's Garden Plans

Since I goofily bought 2x4's instead of 2x6's for my raised beds, I'm going to stack the square frames double-height using stakes inside (at the four corners) and outside (at the halfpoints) for stability. I'll end up with just 2 beds instead of 3 as I had planned and I'll have some extra "soil". But I can always add another bed next year (or even in the fall if I get a job soon); and it never hurts to have extra potting soil! I think this is the best way (least expensive anyway) to remedy my error.

So, tomorrow, one more frame to build, weed cloth to cut and lay, soil ingredients to mix, and the beds to fill.

As a reward for my labor, I will plant some seeds too: spinach, lettuce, radishes, peas, green onions, and Brussels sprouts.

I may risk transplanting my parsley seedlings, but I'm undecided. If animals eat them or frost kills them, I'll probably cry; I've become attached. I think they'd do fine with cool weather, but I'm not sure they're far enough along yet. One more leaf each? On the other hand, at this point they may grow faster and more vigorously outdoors (given more sunlight than they are currently getting on my windowsill). Can you hear the separation anxiety-- a mother with mixed feelings about parting with her babies? ;-)

I will also risk planting some pansy seeds (including a container of Johnny-Jump-Ups), but if we get particularly harsh weather, I know those seeds may be wasted, and I'll end up replanting. I think I can risk a few seeds-- I don't have much invested in them yet.

Image source:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95994086@N00/2469367746/

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment