Saturday, March 27, 2010

One SFG Grid Done

I drilled pilot holes then inserted 12 galvanized deck screws so that I could use the heads to string a cotton grid over the top of the raised bed. I used 100% cotton yarn and twisted it into cords; I also "wove" the strands for added stability. It took 1.25 hours.


I also planted 5 of the 16 squares: 8 Early Scarlet Globe radishes & 8 French Breakfast radishes, 9 spinach plants, 4 black-seeded Simpson lettuces, 4 green salad bowl lettuces, and 4 Bibb lettuces. I watered all planted seeds and recovered the bed with the bird netting.

We're due to get a day of rain, then it's dry weather for a stretch of 5 days. The next day that it's suitable to work outdoors, I plan to get the other grid up and a few more seeds planted. Also, I need to get my blueberry bush planted. I have an appropriate container for it, but it likes the same conditions as azaleas and rhododendrons. I'm wondering whether the potting soil I have will do the job.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment