Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chariots of Fire

I'd never seen this movie though I remember all the attention it drew when it was released. When I watched it last night, I expected it to be fantastic but thought it was only good. I would watch it again at some future time but don't feel the need to own it.

I couldn't identify with either of the main characters much.

I appreciate Eric Liddell's sticking to his principles, but in my view Saturday is the Sabbath and Sunday is the Lord's Day. His heart was to honor the Lord, but I don't share his beliefs about the holiness of a particular day or about not engaging in certain activities on particular days. I think Christians have greater liberty than that. But in his time and from his culture his views were understandable.

With similar intensity Harold Abrahams felt he had something to prove to the world. Personally, I think that is a battle no one can win. Better to stand confident in what you know to be true and be satisfied with that-- the world at large is too stubborn and bent on its own course to convince or turn. (Not that people can't influence each other, just that such a gargantuan battle is futile.)

The character I liked best was Lord Andrew Lindsay's (who is fictional, based quite loosely on an actual person). He advanced his friends' interests without needing or particularly gaining the world's acclaim. He persuaded Abrahams' girlfriend to stand by him, giving her insight into the character of the man she loved. Then he gave his place in the race to Liddell, understanding and supporting him. In the Bible, we have the example of Barnabas whose name means "one who encourages"-- in this movie, Lindsay seems somewhat like that; for him it wasn't so much about what he could achieve, but what he could assist others to achieve. To me that is selfless, and I admire that trait more than dogged determination or the will to win.

I also enjoyed Ian Holm's performance in the movie. He reminds me of a patron at the library in looks and personality-- knowledgable and a bit of a scalawag.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I think his objection was to competing on a Sunday for personal glory rather than abstaining from running in general. He was not a strict sabbath observer (in the usual Scottish meaning of that) and organised sports matches for children on Sunday's.

    You can find out more about Eric Liddell on our web site:

    Eric Liddell Centre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input. I've never read a biography about Liddell, and of course movies fictionalize so much.

    ReplyDelete