Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tea with Mom

Yesterday Mom and I headed to Frankfort to have tea at the Candleberry Tea Room. They have a gift shop with lots of girly items-- china, home decor, jewelry and fashion accessories, etc. (A bit pricey.) The dining room is attractive, and our table was cheerfully appointed and by a window, allowing us to enjoy the spring sunshine.

Image source: Mom

The food was good-- their signature herbed tomato soup (just a little spicy-- not bland Campbell's), a blueberry scone with cinnamon-sprinkled whipped cream, a chicken salad sandwich that wasn't overly sweet (a refreshing change), cream cheese-filled baby carrot cakes, lemon bars topped with blueberry sauce, and Derby pie bars were some of the treats.

We talked quite a while with the owners-- an interesting and kind middle-aged couple. They work hard to make the business pay, serving lunch as a cafe, and hosting catered meetings by arrangement in addition to tea sittings.

Mom and I intended to do some shopping afterwards, but we didn't do too much because we managed to get lost in our efforts to find a peddlers' mall. We headed 20 miles out of the way on a windy rural road. At that point we asked an older man at a stop sign for directions. His advice was to turn around and head back over the same 20 miles we'd just covered. I wasn't wild about that idea because of the curves and a tendency toward motion sickness. Would you believe we finally thought to consult the GPS that we'd had with us all along?!? It was funny-- we're obviously not digital natives! The GPS gave us the same directions as the man had, but we had a good time talking and laughing regardless of the detour.

We did stop at a Goodwill-- my mom's compelled to hunt those bargains down. She found some shirts, and I bought a picture for $3.50 that I'll eventually have professionally cut down, matted, and framed to hang in my knitting room.

Image source: Me! with the digital camera Mom gave me!

All in all, a lovely day. ;-)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I have been to Candleberry's but not in a long while, it is a good place. Have you been to Flag Fork Farm in Lexington? I know you would enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I'll keep it in mind. My mom is already planning another tea for us-- she's incorrigible when it comes to trips and outings! ;-)

    ReplyDelete